Twelve individuals arrested in fake currency scam in Ganderbal
Ganderbal, Feb 09 : Twelve individuals have been apprehended in connection with a fake currency scam involving a rice pulling machine in central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district.
An official told News Agency that the authorities received information about suspicious activities on the evening of February 8, 2024. The tip came from reliable sources who reported that a group of individuals was acting suspiciously at Kijpara, located behind Dumping Park.
He said under the guidance of SSP Ganderbal, Sandeep Gupta-IPS, a special police team was formed immediately. The team was led by SDPO Kangan, Muzaffar Jan-JKPS, and supervised by SHO Kangan, Turk Zahoor.
The official said that the swift raid conducted by the team resulted in the apprehension of the twelve suspicious individuals. In the process of searching the suspects and their vehicles, the police recovered and seized 30 bundles of fake currency notes worth Rs 50,000 each. The total value of counterfeit notes amounted to Rs 1,500,000 (Children Bank). Additionally, Rs 56,600 in Indian currency was seized at the scene.
The authorities also seized five vehicles that were used in the commission of the crime. The registration numbers of these vehicles are as follows: JK15-4533 (Alto-K10), JK18B-2652 (Baleno), JK18D-3543 (Alto-K10), JK01AU-5420 (I-20), and PB01A-9585 (Etios) he said.
The official identified all accused persons as
– Riyaz Ahmad Mir, son of Ghulam Ahmad Mir, from Kijpara, Kangan
– Ghulam Nabi Malik, son of Mohd Abdullah Malik, from Lari Preng
– Arshid Ahmad Wani, son of Mohd Akbar Wani, from Hajan Bandipora
– Mohd Zubair, son of Abdul Aziz Bijran, from Babanagri Wangat
– Zahoor Ahmad Salro, son of Mohd Rafiq, from Shopian Bungam
– Abaas Ahmad Sofi, son of Abdul Salam Sofi, from Shopian Bungam
– Bilal Ahmad Sofi, son of Abdul Salam Sofi, from Shopian Bunpora
– Faroze Ahmad Thokar, son of Ali Mohd Thokar, from Mastpora Keller Shopian
– Raja Rameez, son of Abdul Rashid Shah, from Kulgam
– Ishfaq Ahmad Wani, son of Mohd Akbar Wani, from Hajan Bandipora
– Zubair Ahmad Bijran, son of Ghulam Hassan Bijran, from Poshkar Kangan
– Khurshid Ahmad Mir, son of Fayaz Ahmad Mir, from Kijpara.
The official further said that the police have registered a case (FIR No. 08/2024) at PS Kangan, charging the accused under relevant sections of the law. Further investigation into the matter is currently underway.